Many people who have found safety and home in the United States wish to become permanent residents. U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) offers a path for refugees and those who have been granted asylum to apply for permanent resident status. These application processes are similar and can both allow an individual and their family members to obtain a green card and permanent residency in the U.S.

Green Card for an Asylee

If you have been granted asylum in the U.S., you may apply to be a Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR, or “green card holder”) one year after your asylum grant. Although you are technically not required to do so, it can be a smart move in case circumstances change in your home country or the U.S. and you no longer qualify as an asylee with permission to permanently remain in the country.

Your spouse and/or children are also eligible to apply for permanent residency if they were also admitted to the U.S. as asylees or included when you were granted asylum. To begin the process, you will need to file an Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, also known as Form I-485. There may be other forms required of you in order to support your I-485.

Green Card for a Refugee

If you were admitted into the U.S. as a refugee, then you are required to apply to be a Lawful Permanent Resident one year after your entry into the country. To be eligible, you must also have not had your refugee admission terminated.You will need to file an Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, also known as Form I-485. Like asylees, there are several other forms you as a refugee will need to submit as supporting evidence for your Form I-485, and a qualified immigration attorney can help you navigate the application process.

Immigration Attorney for Refugees and Asylees

The programs that allow refugees, asylees, and family members seek permanent resident status in the U.S. are incredibly beneficial, but can also be very complicated. There are several limitations and requirements that can prohibit an individual from being granted their green card. It can also be confusing to know which steps to take or what to do if a problem arises with your application. This is where many people find it advantageous to enlist the help of an immigration lawyer. An experienced attorney will know the “ins-and-outs” of these laws and processes and can help you prevent errors that cause your application to be denied.

At Salmon-Haas, we don’t just assist clients with the necessary forms--we listen to them and learn their story. We know how important these cases are to our clients and we work diligently to be their advocate and get them the best results possible. If you or a family member is a refugee or asylee pursuing permanent resident status in the United States, give Salmon-Haas a call today to learn more about how we can help you!

Schedule A Free Consultation

Schedule Your Free Consultation

Hablamos Español
Disclaimer: By submitting this form you agree to the collection of your personal data pursuant to our privacy policy.
Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.