How to Get an Immigration Bond

June 29, 2017

1. What is an immigration bond?

An immigration bond is the amount of money required by ICE to let the accused go free until trial. The bond functions as collateral; if you pay $5000 to be released, and you want that money back, you are expected to attend any required interviews and hearings. Your immigration bond serves as a statement to ICE that you will attend all court dates. If you do not go to every court date and every interview, your chance of deportation increases and you will lose the bond money.

2. How much will my bond cost?

The legal minimum bond amount an immigration judge can set is $1500. If the judge wants to make the bond amount higher, they can.

3. Do I qualify for a bond?

To get an immigration bond, you should be ready to prove that you have strong ties in the U.S. For example, you can provide letters of reference from your employers, friends, or family.

4. How do I get a bond?

To get a bond, you usually will need a bond hearing. In the bond hearing, the judge will confirm whether or not you are eligible for bond. If you do not get a bond hearing, this does not mean you will be deported. This only means you will be detained, but you can still fight your case. Friends and family are allowed to come to the bond hearing and should be allowed to testify for you if the Judge allows it. The more people that appear on your behalf at the bond hearing, the better it looks. A gathering of friends and family shows the judge you have strong ties to the U.S. and deep ties in your community. Statements on behalf of community members, such as friends, family, church or volunteer group leaders, show that you have good character. Have each person include a copy of their ID along with either a copy of their driver's license, passport, or permanent resident card.

Letter From You

To help you in your bond case, you should prepare a personal letter. This letter functions as an appeal about how responsible you are. This should also be coupled with a statement about your goals in life and a little about your personal history.

Evidence of How Long You've Lived in the U.S.

To help prove your impact in the U.S., you will need to bring proof of how long you've lived here. This can include, but is not limited to:

  • Utility bills
  • Tax records
  • Marriage certificates
  • Medical records
  • Insurance records
  • Rent receipts
  • Birth certificates of your kids
  • Deeds for your car, home, and/or trailer
  • Certificates of completed programs such as Alcoholics Anonymous

5. What happens if I get a bond?

You, a family member, or a bond officer can pay bond immediately. Make a money order/cashier's check out to "Department of Homeland Security". Anything else will not get accepted.You cannot have a payment plan. You cannot offer anything other than a money order/cashier's check as collateral. The bond can be paid at either your detention center or the nearest ICE office. When paying, make sure you have your ICE file number along with your full name. If your loved one is detained in Pearsall you can call (830) 334-2939 for more information on how and where to pay the bond. If you need further assistance, contact the Law Offices of Salmon-Haas.

Let Us Help You Win Your Case Today

Immigration law can be complex, but we always stay on top of the latest developments. If you have questions about immigration law or your immigration case, contact us today to set up a free initial consultation.

Schedule Your Free Consultation

Hablamos Español
Disclaimer: By submitting this form you agree to the collection of your personal data pursuant to our privacy policy.
Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.