What is Parole-in-Place?

August 3, 2017

Parole-in-place is a government program that aids U.S. military members and their families. In some cases, a spouse of a U.S. service member is present in the United States illegally. When that's the case, the parole-in-place system works to offer the person lawful status and eligibility for a green card without having to leave the U.S. The U.S. government recognized the possibility of granting parole as early as 1998. They formally developed guidelines for military personnel and their families in 2013 with further expansion of the program's guidelines in 2014. The purpose of the program is to aid military members who might otherwise have to worry about childcare and other support if their family members are suddenly deported. The U.S. government cites its commitment to service members and veterans and their well being as a basis for the program. They say that allowing parole-in-place for these relatives provides a public benefit.

How to obtain parole-in-place

To apply for parole-in-place, you must complete form I-131. Your documentation must include proof of your relationship to the service member. You must also prove the qualifying service member's service in the armed forces. The paperwork must include two passport-style photos. Rules allow you to include evidence of why the government should grant your petition. This may include your participation in the community or an explanation of how you assist the military member. Generally, this information isn't crucial unless there are negative things in your history that may make your application questionable. File your paperwork in the appropriate USCIS district office. When they have your materials, they schedule an interview. Then, they approve or deny your request.

Eligibility requirements for getting parole-in-place

To apply to take part in the program, you must be an immediate relative of a U.S. service member. That means you must be a spouse, a parent or a child of the service member. Extended relatives are not eligible for the program. A service member may be on active duty or a veteran. They may be a member of the Selected Reserve or the Ready Reserve. They may also be a veteran of the Selected Reserve or the Ready Reserve. Unlike other adjustment of status programs, you don't have to prove you entered the U.S. lawfully per U.S. immigration rules. This is unlike most immigration and visa applications that need you to prove that you entered lawfully. However, the U.S. government can choose whether to grant an application for parole-in-place. Their decision is discretionary. If you have a criminal record or another reason that the government may not want you to enter, they may deny your application.

The U.S. government granted me parole-in-place. What do I do next?

Once you've completed the process, you're eligible to apply for a green card. You can use what's called Adjustment of Status. You need to file form I-485 and pay the filing fee.

Let Us Help You Win Your Case Today

Immigration law can be complex, but we always stay on top of the latest developments. If you have questions about immigration law or your immigration case, contact us today to set up a free initial consultation.

Schedule Your Free Consultation

Hablamos Español
Disclaimer: By submitting this form you agree to the collection of your personal data pursuant to our privacy policy.
Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.