Because employers in the United States are required to verify that employees are legally allowed to work in the U.S., individuals who are not U.S. citizens or lawful permanent residents must obtain authorization to work here. Foreign nationals who are temporarily in the U.S. can apply for a work permit (also known as an Employment Authorization Document, or EAD) issued by the USCIS. The Application for Employment Authorization (Form I-765) allows an alien to work for any employer in the United States for a set period of time, usually a year. However, you can renew your work permit for another year to continue working.

It is recommended that you begin the renewal process 6 months before your EAD is set to expire.There are many different types of people who are eligible for an EAD, including but not limited to certain students, asylees, refugees, and nonimmigrant fiancé(e)s of U.S. citizens. In addition to Form I-765, applicants will also need to submit any previous EADs, 2 recent photographs, supporting documents proving eligibility, and a copy of Form I-94 (Arrival/Departure Record). You can find your most recent I-94 in electronic form here.  Depending on your status, you will need to submit certain additional forms and materials in your work permit application.

Why Hire an Immigration Attorney for a Work Permit?

Being authorized to work in the U.S. allows individuals to take advantage of more opportunities while financially supporting themselves and their families. For these reasons, if you are applying to work in the U.S., it is likely that having your work authorization approved is very important to you. After all, your ability to legally work here affects many areas of your life. An immigration attorney can assist you in filling out your application for employment authorization correctly and efficiently to give you the best chance of obtaining your EAD.

At Salmón-Haas, we understand the concerns and needs of those seeking a work permit in the U.S. We have extensive experience helping individuals begin their lives here, and we love to see our clients continue on their journey to success.We care about your case; you are never just a number in our filing cabinet. To find out more about how we can assist you in applying for work authorization in the United States, call us today for a free consultation.

Schedule A Free Consultation

Schedule Your Free Consultation

Hablamos Español
Disclaimer: By submitting this form you agree to the collection of your personal data pursuant to our privacy policy.
Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.